We believe in Excellent Aspirations
At Harrow High School, we are extremely ambitious for all of our learners, and place a strong emphasis on developing our learners’ aspirations. We are passionate about providing our learners with access to a wide range of enriching, stimulating, and insightful experiences to help develop their character, celebrate their culture and achieve their potential.
We are proud to have a well-established Aspirations Programme developed exclusively for our learners to raise their motivation. We take great pride in being able to offer so many opportunities for our learners to find and develop their talents. Our ‘Learner Journey’ document shows some of the aspects of the programme, the key hallmarks of which are:
In Key Stage 3, our learners embark on an innovative scheme called ‘The Edge’. The scheme is intended, over time, to develop and accredit the life skills and attributes that employers are looking for; leadership, organisation, initiative, resilience and communication. This will give learners a qualification, which runs alongside their academic successes and recognises what they can do as well as what they know.
In order to gain the qualification at “Apprentice”, “Graduate” or “Masters” level, learners need to complete a range of activities from an approved list. The activities can be many and varied and can be undertaken in normal lessons, in extra-curricular clubs or outside of school.
Progress on the scheme is managed by learners themselves using a specially designed online
application, with tutors providing an oversight and awarding credits towards achieving
the qualification. We believe that ‘The Edge’ provides a real opportunity for Learners at Harrow High School to benefit for the future as they apply to colleges, universities and for positions of employment. At the end of the programme learners are rewarded with a graduation ceremony, and after party to celebrate their achievements and hard work
- PIXL Edge Character Development Qualification
- Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4 Graduation
- Ceremonies & Prom
- Enterprise Day
- Work Experience in Year 10 and Year 12
- Core entitlement of a minimum of 12 cultural trips for all students throughout their time at Harrow High
- 1 University or Careers based trip per year
- Year 11 Mock Interview Day
- Annual Careers Fair
- Year 12 University Preparation Week
- Residential Trips in the UK, and abroad
- Extra-curricular programme including Duke of
- Edinburgh Award, National Citizen Service, Army Cadets, Code Club, and fundraising.
Below are some examples of visits that have taken place
- The Planetarium Observatory
- Tower of London
- Cutty Sark
- Museums and Galleries
- Kew Gardens
- Theatre visits
- Universities of Oxford, Cambridge, Middlesex, Brunel, Royal Holloway
- Year 7 & 8 performing an abridged version of a Shakespeare play at the Beck Theatre.
- 80 students training with the Carolina Panthers NFL team.
- Year 11 watching a performance of “A Christmas Carol”
- Sixth Form students ice skating at Winter Wonderland.
- Year 8 having a university taster day at Brunel University.
Residential trips have included
- Geography trip to the Isle of Wight
- Biology field trip to Norfolk
- History trip to Belgium
- Year 10 Prague Trip
- Sixth Form trips to Paris and Amsterdam
- Year 8 trip to Paris in October 2019